Accounting entry and browsing
First, you can complete the header fields to display existing accounting records and to filter the entries which are shown. If you leave the header fields blank, this means "all" or "any".
You can choose one or several journals, by clicking the button to the right of the field.
The list of available journals will be displayed in a new window. Double-click a line to select a journal. You can also create or edit a journal if you have the correct permissions.
If you leave the field blank, accounting records for all journals will be displayed, and you will be allowed to enter any journal. This might be slow and unsafe.
Start and end dates
The start date can be entered to select the first day to display. Leaving this field blank displays all accounting records from the first entry onwards.
The end date can be entered to limit the last day to display. Leaving this field blank displays all accounting records up to the last entry.
You are not allowed to enter a date outside the specified range, which prevents invalid entries being made.
Creating an accounting records
If you have selected a journal, and if manual entry is allowed for this journal, you can enter new accounting records. Otherwise, the display is read-only and you can't create any accounting records.
Minimal accounting entry
Select New accounting entry in the drop down list at the bottom, and click Create. You can also use F12 key.
2 lines are created in the grid. You will be able to add lines as explained below.
First you enter the date of the entry (or change an existing entry date). Date entry is limited to the period between the start and end dates given in the header. The date must be also greater than the journal close date. The date format will be the default system date format. If you omit year, month or day, then the current year, month or day are inserted for you.
Then, you must enter some text describing the journal (this is required).
Next, you enter or select an account. There are several ways to do this.
- You can enter the first digits and letters of the account code, starting with digits, and click enter. The first account code starting with these characters will be selected.
- You can enter the beginning of the account name, starting with a non-numeric character. This selects the first account with a matching name.
- You can click the button on the right side of the field and choose an account from the windowed list.
Next, you enter the amount. Decimals can be added. The decimal separator is the default decimal character defined by the system.
In the second line, you enter the code or name of the corresponding double-entry account, as you did previously. The balancing amount is filled for you, and if your accounting record has 2 lines, it is now complete.
Click on the validation button. This checks that the accounting entry is balanced and valid. If so, it will be recorded. At any time, of course you can cancel the accounting entry and nothing will be recorded.
- To insert a new line, before the current line, select this item in the drop down list and click Create; you can also press F8.
- To insert a new line, after the current line, select this item in the drop down list and click Create; you can also press F9.
- To delete a line added in error, click the Delete button or press F10.
Accounting entry from a template
[Detailed documentation still to be added here].